2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons of salted butter
4 medium yellow onions
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon thyme
8 ounces bow tie pasta
1 cups shredded Havarti cheese
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 cups sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon fresh pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground paprika
1 teaspoon parsley
1. Heat olive oil and butter in a large oven safe skillet over medium heat.
2. Add onions and stir to coat with oil. Sprinkle with salt.
3. Cook onions, stirring occasionally to avoid burning until onions are tender and slightly caramelized, about 20
4. Increase heat to medium-high and add in balsamic vinegar cook for 1-2 minutes longer.
5. Add in broth, heavy cream, spices, pasta and a pinch of salt and pepper.
6. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer for about 15-20 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed
and pasta is tender, stir in sour cream.
7. While pasta is cooking, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
8. Once pasta is cooked, stir in 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and sprinkle the top with remaining cheese.
9. Transfer skillet to the oven and cook for 5-10 minutes longer until cheese is melted.
10. Season to taste is desired and serve.
This recipe is easily frozen in smaller batches. I love adding a few cups of grilled or shredded chopped chicken to mine. This is great for leftovers, and makes for a heartier version.