Michael is pretty accomplished in the kitchen and recently made this soup using potatoes, kale and onions that he and Zach grow. Also in the recipe is a very gentle pinch of Peter Pepper flake that is jarred at Little Bent Farm after their Hot Peter Peppers are dehydrated. Jackson’s Sausage is available for purchase at The Parlor and it goes well in this soup. Without further ado, here is Michael’s soup recipe.
- 1/2 pound pork sausage (Jackson’s fresh, smoked or Italian)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups sliced kale (remove the kale from the stems before slicing)
- 32 oz. box of chicken or vegetable stock/broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules (such as Knorr)
- GENTLE pinch of Little Bent Farm Peter Pepper flake *
- * omit if using hot sausage unless you really like HOT
- 1/4 cup cold water & 1 TB cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sour cream – ADD at the VERY END – don’t cook with the soup!
In a large saucepan, cook sausage and onion over medium heat 5 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender; breaking up sausage into crumbles. Drain any excess sausage “juice”.
Stir in seasonings. Add potatoes, kale, chicken stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 1o-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into soup. Return to a boil stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup sour cream immediately before serving.